Saturday, December 8, 2007

Beware the fifth of march...or something like that

Just wrote this speech/monologue, it's from my new play which is still without a title. I like it a lot, and am posting without essentially editing it. As always, all work on here is copywrighted to myself. And without further ado, here it is...

UNDERSTUDY: The soothsayer in 'Julius Ceaser', personably descript and with the right amount of gumption;comes right up to Ceaser, newly crowned emperor of the Roman Empire (by his own hands of course) and says "Beware the ides of March."

Now in layman's terms, the ides is the fifth of any month. If this soothsayer had said simply: Beware the FIFTH of March. It wouldn't have had the same effect. That Bill Shakespeare certainly knew what he was doing. In a nutshell Ceaser brushes him off, and then on the ides of March is stabbed by many blades inthe Senate chamber by a group of men hellbent on bloody assassination, including his best friend Brutus.

Then one day a modern day soothsayer had stumbled up to me on the corner of Broadway and 46th Street and said "Beware the ides of March", I'm not sure what I said to him. He undoubtedly afterwards tried to ask me for money. Geez, why was he panhanlding in the theatre district, but at least he has the dramatic flair.

In the back of my mind, as that day approached, I did wonder. Then came the fated date and it was almost over when... I met the Producer, and oftentimes Agent for Evelyn. Mr Jonathon Myers. Perhaps mythics do still exist.

No comments: