Sunday, November 25, 2007

Where I am in the grand scheme of theatrical things

I have decided to leave off naplwrimo* for the year, and that may be me being a coward (so be it!), I was just plowing on through and at a certain point that didn't work. I loved the play too much to try and hurry along to finish it, and get to about 70 pages, by the end of the month. I was starting to hate Bred In Your Bones, which is the worst feeling in the world for me. I needed to take a step from the work and look at other plays, including starting a new one (yes, that's right, you heard right, a new one). I will come back to Bred In Your Bones, and this month I've gotten so far on it, up to 35 pages, and I'm tremendously pleased and proud of what I wrote' thanks to naplwrimo for that. I just need to set it aside, give myself and it some breathing space.
And on to another-- it doesn't have a title yet. It's a three hander: two women & one man. And the following is it's 'tagline', for want of a better word, the first ideas/ideas/words that came to me about the play.

"An Actress, Her Understudy, and the Producer in their lives. A comedy about biting thumbs, breaking legs and the proverbial dirty dressing room."

The following is what dialogue I have written...will look at characters/questions/scenario later, but needed to start this one with dialogue, they just started speaking and I started translating. (The following is copyrighted to Mary Davidson, November 2007).

(Dressing room. The Actress is putting on her makeup. Her Understudy is knitting.)

Actress
What are you working on tonight?

Understudy
It’s another sweater for my dog.

Actress
That poodle—

Understudy
Actually, it’s an alasa apso—

Actress
Like I said, that poodle must have a positive plethora of knobbly knitted doggy clothing to choose from in the morning. Goodness knows, he must have a larger wardrobe than I do.

Understudy
I find knitting calming.

Actress
You can just stick around for the first half, darling, and leave at intermission.

Understudy
Really?

Actress
Yes. I don’t think I’ll drop dead.

Understudy
It’s just that I heard…

Actress
Heard what?

Understudy
Nothing.

Actress
Everything is about something. Was it a rumour about me?

Understudy
No. It was about after the show tonight.

Actress
Ah, yes, the usual curtain calls and flowers, the clamouring fans and the martinis.



Back to the words. And got to get on that vacuuming.


*National Playwriting Month

1 comment:

DL said...

I am glad you enjoyed it and i hope you join us again next year !